Last Updated on
Getting your website attacked by spammers and hackers has become quite common these days. Keeping in mind the fact that cyber threat is looming on your website 24/7 it becomes imperative to stay prepared for any such adverse situation. That’s why I am here to share some simple steps that you can take in case your website has been attacked by a hacker.
Detecting whether the website has been hacked
Well, if your website is hacked chances are that it will be defaced. Or maybe it gets redirected to some inappropriate site. Plus,
· Search engines like Google and Bing notify you when the site has been hacked
· Browsers indicate that it has been hacked
· You start getting strange traffic. For instance a huge boom in the traffic from some unrelated countries
Now that your website has been hacked, what’s the next step?
Get on with the remediation work! Here’s how to go about it –
1. Cleaning up malicious scripts in the code
You can begin by removing the malicious scripts that have been added by the hackers in your website. Go through the code thoroughly and make sure that every single element of the malicious code has been removed.
2. Check for vulnerabilities in the CMS
Vulnerabilities in CMS are the major reasons why websites get hacked. So, just to make sure that the website is not susceptible to attack make sure you keep the CMS updated. And, use a strong password to log it.
3. Check for hidden content
Hackers often create a non-www version of the website under attack to hide content so that you don’t even get to know about the hack attack. So, you need to check for the non-www version of your website as well.
Most important thing to remember here is not to panic. If you feel unsafe by the hack attack and thing that it’s too overwhelming for you to handle, then go ahead and call for a support team. There are service providers out there who can come to your rescue.
Once the attack has been identified and cure, you can go on and start with the website afresh. Apart from all these, here are some simple tips that can help to stay safe from these attacks in the future –
1. When transferring files to the servers, try to avoid using FTPs and replace them with SFTPs.
2. You can use permission sensitive files such as .htaccess to make the website more secure.
3. Stay aware of any unfamiliar activity in the account and administrative panel. Try and keep the access limited to as less as possible
So those were some simple tips that can help you in situation of a hack attack. If you found these tips helpful, do share the feedback comments in section. Have anything more to say to us? You can contact me using details listed on the contact us page.
Until next time, all I have to say is use these tips and stay safe from the hack attacks!